West End Middle has adopted a new, simplified dress code this year. The goal is to make sure everyone feels comfortable and is appropriately dressed. Students must keep the main portion of their body covered at all times while at school. Since there are many different body types, there is no perfect way to put this into words. Basically everything from your shoulder to your mid-thigh needs to be covered.
Teachers and staff will check for dress code violations in the morning and throughout the day.
1. Any text or imagery on the clothing must adhere to the school’s expectations for appropriate content. Clothes that have words or saying that are profane, sexually suggestive, or that promote drugs, tobacco, alcohol, violence, racism, or sexism are prohibited. Sleepwear or pajamas are not permitted as school attire and should not be worn to school. Blankets are not permitted at school due to safety reasons.
2. Crop tops are not permitted. All students must have entire torsos covered.
3. No visible undergarments.
4. Large backpacks and winter coats are not allowed in classrooms, must be placed in lockers.
5. Hats, head coverings, and bandanas are not allowed to be worn in the building (except for religious and cultural purposes). Bandanas around the arm, neck, wrist, or sticking out of pockets, etc. are not allowed anytime in the school building. Hoodies and hats may not be worn on the head inside the building.
6. Parents should make sure their children are appropriately and are following the dress code. For more specifics, you can refer to page 9 of the student handbook.
1. When possible, staff members will correct dress code issues without consequence unless a pattern of noncompliance has been established.
2. Staff members refer non-correctable or repeated correctable dress code violations to administration.
3. Parent will be called, and the student and parent are given the option for a parent to bring a change of clothes or student to choose an acceptable garment from our clothes closet.
a. First Offense – The student will conference with the administrator, parent contact & change.
b. Second Offense – Parent Contact & documentation.
c. Third Offense-Parent Conference