Welcome to the 2015–16 school year at West End IB World School! We encourage you to take an active role in your middle schoolerʼs education, and we invite you to get involved with the PTSO this year.
Here are some things you need to know about the PTSO:
1. Youʼre already a member. Every West End parent, teacher, and student is automatically a member of our PTSO. You donʼt have to sign up, and there is no membership fee.
2. We make a difference. PTSO volunteers coordinate school events, assist with communications/marketing, and, of course, raise money to provide our teachers with the tools they need to help our children succeed in the classroom and on the athletic field. The PTSO also runs the popular after-school clubs program and has been instrumental in the planning and construction of our school garden/outdoor classroom. The efforts and enthusiasm of our members allow us to provide all West End students with a richer, more rewarding middle school experience.
3. Meetings are fast-paced and informative. We meet once a month for about an hour or so. This year, we’ll be alternating between evening meetings and lunchtime meetings with guest speakers and/or in-depth single-topic discussions. Click here to view the meeting schedule for 2015-16. Please plan to attend as often as your schedule allows.
4. Our goal is 100% participation. Weʼre all in this together, and we all have something to contribute. We need financial contributions, of course, but contributions of time are also important. Here are just a few of the ways you can help us reach our goal:
- INVEST in West. This is our biggest fundraiser and is absolutely the fastest and most efficient way to get our teachers and coaches the materials, resources, and equipment they need. Donate online or drop off a check—no amount is too large or too small.
- West Wear. Those T-shirts and hoodies with the cool designs are actually a fundraiser. Stock up on apparel for your student, yourself, your whole family … OR help us sell West Wear before school or at athletic and other school events.
- Giant Yard Sale. Donate gently used items for us to sell in October or help out before, during, or after the sale. If youʼve ever hosted a yard sale, you know itʼs lots of work, but any of the parents who have helped with this event in the past can also tell you itʼs really fun.
- Silent Auction/Parent Mixer. Do you own a business (or know someone who does)? We need donations of services and merchandise to offer at the auction. We also need plenty of bidders, so you can also help out just by attending the event!
- Chili Cook-off. Wow the judges with your favorite chili recipe or just bring the family and sample a variety of delicious dishes. Either way, youʼll be helping the PTSO and helping West End.
5. We want to know how your year is going. Weʼll be in touch throughout the year, but please know that our board members are always available to answer your questions, listen to any concerns, or discuss your ideas for making our wonderful school even better.
West End IB World School PTSO Executive Board
Becca Oberlander, Co-President
Ann Lynn Walker, Co-President
Ashley Haugen, Vice President
Michele McAvoy, Secretary
Katherine Brown, Treasurer